[We have also written this article on our sister website: Tech How To]
There are many free blogging platforms but only two have won every one’s heart. Yes you got it right: Blogger and Wordpress. These are the best and popular blogging platforms today. Although there are a lot other blog hosting services but these are the choice of most of the people. Freshers who want to start their blog (and sites too) stay confused among these that which platform they should choose and why. So here’s a comparison between two.
So Google’s policies are applied to Blogger. It’s totally free. It is very easy to use and maintain. If you are done with setting your blogger account you can start posting immediately. You can also use your own custom domain with it. The blog is hosted on domain blogname.blogspot.com . You can have your own domain name by paying $10 USD per year.
Features of Blogger
- It is very easy to setup and maintain blogger account.
- It needs Google ID to sign up and hence you get one more product added in your Google products list. It also connects with Google+ so you can post directly to your Google+ profile or page.
- It has built in social connectivity features.
- You can earn money using Blogger. It supports ad programs from Google Ads, Amazon etc. so you can earn money while sitting at home, without spending a single dollar.
- Because it is a Google product, so it has a special feature which every blogger/ site owner wants i.e. SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Your blog is listed in top of the Google results (not always, but most of the times and you can enhance with Adwords).
- It has its own URL set as blogname.blogspot.com. You can buy your own custom domain name or move your blog to a URL which you have bought.
- It offers gadgets, so you can make your blog look nice and turn into professional website. It has a lot of themes which also help you to organize your blog.
- You don’t need to be a coding expert. Its interface is too good so you can easily understand every part of it. If you are a developer, then it’s also good, because you can customize your whole blog. Blogger gives you the code of the entire blog.
Now let’s talk about another great platform, Wordpress. Wordpress has two versions:
Wordpress: WordPress is a free and open source blogging tool and a content management system (CMS). Anyone can download WordPress software from WordPress.org and install on their website for FREE. It provides tool for web development, but does not provide the hosting options, so you have to choose a hosting company to host your blog/site (It’s not difficult).
Wordpress.com: WordPress.com is a blog hosting service provider, powered by Wordpress. It provides hosting option so you can have a free hosted blog on web as in blogger. It offers a free version with limited features as well as a paid version with premium features. Wordpress.com is developed by same team who developed Wordpress.
Features of WordPress
- Wordpress provides you an open source tool for designing your website. It means you can customize your site in any way you want. You own it on your server so you have full control over it.
- You can design an offline website using wordpress, and can view in your browser too. If you want to make it available on web, you can upload it to your URL or you can host it you using some hosting company.
- Wordpress provides a lot of themes from its base. More than thousands of themes are available via third parties.
- There are tons of themes and plugins available on web for Wordpress which make your blog/ website look beautiful. Installation of plugin requires a single click. It’s that much easy to add and use a plugin and you can uninstall them whenever you want to.
- You can also integrate adsense account with your wordpress site after activation from Google. If your blog is powered with wordpress then you can customize it in a better way and make it search engine friendly.
- Wordpress.com does not have as much themes as wordpress has, but it has hosting options. Your site is available at a domain sitename.wordpress.com and you can buy it anytime.
Now it’s your turn to decide best for you. First think about the purpose for which you want to blog and start a website then choose a platform.
If you’re going to make a professional site or blog than we recommend you to use WordPress.org And if you just starting blogging and don’t want to spend money, than Blogger is good choice for you.